━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
 ▼House of Cards Cana  ronalqtc 13/12/13(金) 10:50

───────────────────────────────────────
 ■題名 : House of Cards Cana
 ■名前 : ronalqtc <ernestinetylerie@gmail.com>
 ■日付 : 13/12/13(金) 10:50
 ■Web : http://www.nfl-shop.us/
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Did our real-life cynicism and disappointment in our political system give birth to them, or are Canada goose jacket
 they fuelling our current contempt for politicians? Kevin Spacey's character Francis Underwood, on House of Cards, isn't exactly known for being a humanitarian. He s a senior politician without a principled bone left in his body. To him, lying is an Olympic sport, selling people out all in a day s work, and gaming the system to get what you and not the people who elected you-want, is what makes you great. Oh, but he loves people: They stack so easily, he says, smacking his lips over a plate of ribs.If I mention he s not real, just the lead character U.S. majority whip leader Francis Underwood creepily brought to life by actor Kevin Spacey on the breakaway hit Netflix seriesHouse of Cards, I know you will be slightly disappointed. You wanted me to name a well-known politician because, hey guys like him are everywhere, littering our legislatures and houses of governance. Forget 10,000 lawyers at the bottom on the ocean being a good start; let s get right to the politician jokes.When it comes to depicting politicians in popular culture, we re having an anti Aaron Sorkin moment as his idealistic long running television series The West Wing fades into fond memory. It has been replaced by the jarring but undeniably entertaining cynicism of well-crafted dramas like House of Cards, and the profane and uproarious comedyVeep.These shows are filled with politicians who are either bumbling or bad, but seldom well-meaning and intent on making a difference. They make me wonder: did our real-life cynicism and disappointment in our political system give birth to them, or are they fuelling our current contempt for politicians?I d say let s split the check on this one because we re in this together, screenwriters and just plain folks, dining out on what many people believe is an accurate description of the current toxic mess we call politics.In the U.S, the government is shut down and the jokes are flying. Have you tried restarting it? is a popular meme. The New York Daily News outdid itself last week with a giant front page House of Cards graphic, photoshopping the face of speaker John Boehner in with the caption: House of Turds .In Canada, maybe our federal politicians will surprise us with civility and good ideas as they wander back n Canada goose Coats
ext week after their long break. But don t count on it.I recently gorged on multiple episodes of Veep, cringing and laughing at Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her back-to-back Emmy winning turn as Selina Meyer, the first American female vice-president, one so self-absorbed that she needs an aide to provide talking points for lunch with her daughter. Worried that she s accidentally pregnant, the veep pees into a cup at a school photo op and gets her loyal hangdog bodym Canada goose outlet
an Gary to test it. She also orders him to break up with her boyfriend for her: I need you to end it with Ted, and I need you to do it sensitively. The character Louis-Dreyfus depicts is both pathetic and resilient, spouting profanities, and in Scottish satirist Armando Iannucci s breakneck, biting script, presiding over an office in permanent free fall. Every day, Selina waits in vain for the president to call, and her aides face the fallout of her missteps, or as one Senator she crossed says to the veep s handsome communications deputy: I m going to rip your face off and use your eye sockets as a sex toy. Apparently, according to the New York Times, the series is so popular in the American capital that young ambitious politicos depict themselves and each other as its characters like Jonah, the self-aggrandizing west wing toady. Not going to that party, they say, too many Jonahs will be there. In Season Two of Veep, Selina Meyer becomes more powerful, if not plausible. The show still oper Goose jacket
ates in a moral wasteland, or as New Yorker critic Emily Nussbaum observes, Veep remains grounded in contempt, not outrage; it s a curled lip ra Goose jacket
ther than a raised fist. Veep can t, and won t, offer us any hope at least, not yet. It s too bad the hilarity and cynicism of these shows can t be combined with some moral force that isn t malevolent. It s too bad funny or dark can t also be thoughtful or inspiring, but right now it can t be. If writers tried to sell a show portraying a politician as purely a force for good, they d be laughed out of the studio. Maybe we need this bracing cynicism, to paradoxically both cheer us up, and confirm our own low expectations of politicians.In this icon-toppling age, politicians and the public get the shows we deserve. We get Kevin Spacey as Underwood, bending down to quietly urge a deranged vagrant, howling in protest on the sidewalk, to pack it up and go home: Nobody can hear you, nobody cares about you, nothing can come of this, he whispers into the lost soul s ear.Welcome to the nihilism of politics in the 21st century. But the pendulum will swing back again. It always does.Judith Timson writes weekly about cultural, social and political issues. You can reach her at judith.timson@sympatico.ca and follow her on Twitter @judithtimson We value respectful and thoughtful discussion. Readers are encouraged to flag comments that fail to meet the standards outlined in our Community Code of Conduct. For further information, including our legal guidelines, please see our full website Terms and Conditions. just 99 cents + tax for your first month. Try it now. Digital Access customers receive FREE Saturday Home Delivery in the GTA. DIGITAL ACCESS customers receive FREE SaturdayHome Delivery in the GTA. Only $0.99 + tax your first month. Try Digital Access now. DIGITAL ACCESS ON ALL YOUR DEVICES. Digital Access customers receive FREE Saturday Home Delivery in the GTA.Try Digital Access now. Just 99 cents plus tax for your first month.

Canada goose Coats

Canada goose outlet

Canada goose toronto
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━    通常モードに戻る  ┃  INDEX  ┃  ≪前へ  │  次へ≫    ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━                                 Page 934308